SERMON APPLICATION QUESTIONS
- How does this passage demonstrate God’s extravagant love? What are the implications of God’s extravagant love for the Christian life? How have you experienced that love in your own life? How might this portrait of God as heavenly Father help those who struggle with seeing God as a Father?
- The father’s love brings about repentance that is evident in a complete reversal of status in the younger son and showing the father’s total acceptance of him back into his family. Why do we, or perhaps someone you know, tend to doubt God’s acceptance of us after our conversion?
- Joy seems to mark the father when his son returns, just as it marks our heavenly Father to welcome repentant sinners home. Do you welcome in and rejoice when repentant sinners return to God through faith in Jesus Christ? Explain why or why not.
- What might lead you to question the fairness of God’s grace in your own life? How might you help someone who questions the fairness of God’s grace?
- Why is the moral conformity of the elder brother so difficult to see and so dangerous to the gospel? Do you identify more closely with the younger brother or with the older brother?