Sermon Application Questions
- When it comes to the law of God with regard to adultery, explain why, like the sin of murder, the scribes and Pharisees missed the main point regarding, “You shall not commit adultery.
- The sin of adultery is such a serious sin because it violates the covenant of marriage. Using Genesis 2:20-25 and Ephesians 5:31-32 in your answer, explain how this sin destroys the object-lesson the Lord is seeking to teach regarding the marriage covenant between Christ and the church.
- Why is lust in the heart a violation of the 7th commandment, “You shall not commit adultery.” (Matthew 15:18,19)
- Using James 1:14-15, explain how one gives birth to sin.
- Why is all sexual sin a violation of the seventh commandment?
- Why does Jesus refer to the plucking out of the eye and the cutting off of the hand as necessary for a pure heart?
- List several ways in which we are to deal with the lust of the flesh. (Romans 6:12-14; Romans 13:14; Galatians 5:16).
- The word of God teaches that those who practice sexual sin will not inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Cor. 6:9;1 Tim. 1:8-10; Rev. 22:14-15;). Explain the difference between a true Christian who struggles with sin and an unbeliever who has given his or her life over to sin with no regard for the holiness of God.