“PURSUE PEACE BUT BE READY FOR PERSECUTION” Back to all sermons
Sermon Application Questions
- Persecution and being reviled for kingdom living may take on various forms. List a few.
- Why would anyone "persecute" or "revile" someone who lived his or her life according to the beatitudes?
- It has been stated several times that living the beatitudes is simply following in the footsteps of Jesus. Why does following in the footsteps of Jesus bring about persecution? See John 15:18-21.
- How does Philippians 1:29 help us reevaluate our view towards suffering for the gospel?
- Suffering for the gospel of Christ is gracious or praiseworthy. List several ways we may suffer at the hands of sinners that are not praise worthy. (1 Peter 2:19-20)
- Following the example of Jesus if "reviled" of how are we to respond? (1 Peter 2:21-23)
- As a follow up to question #6 what reason did Peter give as to why Jesus was willing to suffer at the hands of sinners? (1 Peter 2:23)
- How does trusting in the sovereignty of God give us confidence to endure until the end?
- When we respond to suffering as Jesus responded to suffering how does that open the door of evangelism? (1 Peter 3:13-17; Matthew 5:13-16)
- In 5:12 we learn that the reward is great for those who are persecuted for kingdom living. Compare this with 2 Corinthians 4:17 and explain why our call to suffer is worth it now and forever.